So a friend and i decided to get some farm work under our belts in case we wanted to apply for our second year visa when we were backpacking in Australia. If anyone else is thinking the same STAY AWAY FROM MANGO FARMS!! the sap that shoots from the fruit when you pick it is very acidic and burns the skin, you are made aware on your first day that you’re not allowed to wear gloves as it can ruin the fruit so there is no protection from this ejaculating sap! There are about 15 of you all picking at the same time so it shoots everywhere!!
After two days, my arms, chest, face and legs were covered in what they call “mango rash”, painful itchy patches of skin that look like you have some kind of herpes! my friends burns got so bad we had to take her to the local hospital to get treatment.
The money you earn from this awful experience isn’t nearly as much as you may have to spend on meds and you have to stay out of the sun which is very very difficult in the Australian summer. Needless to say we only managed two days work but the effects got worse as time went on, after day five my hand had ballooned and my knuckles had disappeared through the swelling!
so if your thinking of doing some agricultural work to go towards your second year, my advice would be to give all your options a google first and make sure your fully aware of any dangers that may come with the job!